The Importance of Curb Appeal When Selling Your HomeJanuary 10, 2010
The Importance of Curb Appeal When Selling Your Home.
First impressions count in our day to day lives but they are particularly important in Real Estate.
You only get one chance to make a great first impression, make every second count!
When selling your home turn that first impression or “curb appeal” as it’s known, into dollars by creating a positive first impression.
Houses are often SOLD in the buyers mind before they have even seen them, with the popularity of the internet homes are being screened from the comfort of our living rooms and home offices. Your home can be overlooked in a split second, with the click of a mouse.
Home buyers are more and more savvy with the influence of HGTV shows buyers leave their homes well informed and educated they know what they want.
Give buyers a reason to tour through your home. Capture their interest from the get-go.
A few simple cost effective tips can turn For Sale into SOLD:
• For dynamic eye catching curb appeal paint the front door, choose a stunning red such as Benjamin Moore’s cc-62 Sundried Tomato (my personal favorite) or cc-124 Louisiana Hot Sauce a similar colour that enhances the exterior paint of your house would also work
• Fill as many urns and planters as you can get your hands on with brightly coloured long lasting annuals such as gerber daisies, wave petunias, and geraniums. With the addition of accents such as sweet potato vine, vinca vine and licorice plants your planters will be sure to capture a potential buyer’s attention
• Weed flowerbeds
• Make sure the house is clearly visible from the street by pruning back overgrown trees, hedges, shrubs, etc.
• Update your front door light fixture and house numbers, there are many affordable options at your local home building store
• Add some inviting lawn furniture to your front porch, make it look cozy by including large overstuffed pillows in a brightly coloured fabric
• Shutters work wonders by instantly updating the exterior of any home, many styles are available at affordable prices at your favorite home building supplier
• Window boxes add dramatic flair and instant color, again fill them with brightly coloured annuals
• Turn common sense into dollars and cents, cut the grass, pull the weeds, and make sure the exterior of your home is spotless!
• Put away all children’s toys
Keep garbage cans, recycle bins, and compost containers out of sight
Repair broken, worn, or crooked fences and gates
Repair broken or loose shingles on the roof, and clear off any moss, mold, or debris
Water and weed regularly to keep the lawn looking its best
Repair minor cracks and reseal your worn driveway, remove any stains
Potential buyers don’t want to buy a property that looks like it needs work. If your yard needs some attention, or the outside of the house needs small repairs, home-buyers are going to think your house comes with a lot of effort and upkeep. Don’t give buyers any excuses to pass your house by.
You will be amazed at the difference a few minor changes or additions can make in your homes overall FIRST IMPRESSION and curb appeal and how much more welcoming your home will appear to potential buyers; it is like putting out a “welcome mat” for buyers.
For more information or to book a consultation to enhance your curb appeal contact Hope Designs or call to schedule an appointment today 647.496.5766
Hope Designs is Toronto’s Premier Interior Decorating and Home Staging Team serving Toronto and the GTA.
Beautifying Caledon one room at a time
Thank you for following our blog, for more information on home staging visit Home Staging Services Lori Howard is a Certified Canadian Staging Professional serving Toronto and the GTA since 2007. For additional information on Staging your property visit Contact Hope Designs to Stage your home for sale!